It has been a dream of mine to be able to stay home with my family and still be able to help bring in some extra income. Well, the stay home part has happened, the family part has been a little slower--not by choice of course-- but it’s on its way! I think I always knew that I wanted to do hair, but it was hard to get myself to actually go to cosmetology school. In August of 1999 I finally made one of the best decisions of my life. After 2 years of learning and teaching the basics of cosmetology, I finally graduated. I found myself in a lot of different positions in the next 5 years. My experience ranged from working at a Retirement Center Salon, exploring other commission-based salons, managing a salon in Orem while Tyler was at BYU, and also managing a Great Clips in Orem and in Las Vegas. I feel like I’ve seen it all when it comes to hair and people... (I probably haven’t but it seems like it!) It all has been such a fun learning experience! Last year at this time, we were just about to move into our new house...we were lucky enough to find an amazing floor plan that was going to allow me to have a room for my own little "salon"! Finally after nearly 10 years of doing hair, I have been so blessed to be able to stay home and do something that I absolutely love! It is a little hard to start a business just from referrals, but being able to be flexible and open for everyone has been so great! I no longer dread working Saturdays or have the stress of finding someone to fill in on short notice. It has taken so much stress off me, my back and poor Tyler! Thanks to all those who have come to see me and have referred people to me! Keep ‘em coming! I love to see new people!
Monday, February 25, 2008
WORK-ing at Home...
It has been a dream of mine to be able to stay home with my family and still be able to help bring in some extra income. Well, the stay home part has happened, the family part has been a little slower--not by choice of course-- but it’s on its way! I think I always knew that I wanted to do hair, but it was hard to get myself to actually go to cosmetology school. In August of 1999 I finally made one of the best decisions of my life. After 2 years of learning and teaching the basics of cosmetology, I finally graduated. I found myself in a lot of different positions in the next 5 years. My experience ranged from working at a Retirement Center Salon, exploring other commission-based salons, managing a salon in Orem while Tyler was at BYU, and also managing a Great Clips in Orem and in Las Vegas. I feel like I’ve seen it all when it comes to hair and people... (I probably haven’t but it seems like it!) It all has been such a fun learning experience! Last year at this time, we were just about to move into our new house...we were lucky enough to find an amazing floor plan that was going to allow me to have a room for my own little "salon"! Finally after nearly 10 years of doing hair, I have been so blessed to be able to stay home and do something that I absolutely love! It is a little hard to start a business just from referrals, but being able to be flexible and open for everyone has been so great! I no longer dread working Saturdays or have the stress of finding someone to fill in on short notice. It has taken so much stress off me, my back and poor Tyler! Thanks to all those who have come to see me and have referred people to me! Keep ‘em coming! I love to see new people!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Your salon is so cute! I keep forgetting that you do hair! Next time I know someone that needs their hair done I'll have to send em your way. :)
And you are great at hair! I love your little salon. It is realaxing and fun, unlike most other salons! Love it!
Hi Lanece,
I am so happy for you and all of your hard seems to be paying off. Your salon looks great! I am so happy to hear about your adoption, I had my family over for dinner the other night and was telling them that I have been reading your blog for a couple of weeks. I told them about your Craft to earn some extra money.... Some of them wanted to order and others just want to donate... I will give you the details. I will coming to Vegas on 3/13-3/16 with one of my friends. I would love to come over and see your house and visit a little... I will call you.
Your blog is so cute. I just started one a couple of weeks ago. It needs a little work, but it will get there.
I cant wait to see you!
Love Ya,
Hilarie
Post a Comment